Adding subtitles to the video will make sure that the viewers can understand the content better from the bottom of the screen. Interestingly, many viewers do not read subtitles consciously, but in most cases unconsciously. So if you have recorded some videos and want to get good views on social media networks, remember one thing – add subtitles to video.
First of all, we’ll list some reasons why you should add subtitles to your videos, so you will know why subtitles are so important. Later, you will learn how to use the free Windows video editor MiniTool Movie Maker and online tools to add subtitles to video step by step.
Some Interesting Facts You Might Not Know
- A survey reveals that most people prefer to turn captions on when they watch videos, movies, music videos, and TV shows.
- If you translate the video captions into other languages, more people can understand your videos easier. Subtitles are very helpful for foreign language learners to enhance listening comprehension and increase their reading speed.
- Sometime when people don’t or can’t turn on audio when using their portable devices on the metro, in the dorm, or in some quiet environments, they could read the captions and then understand your video content.
- There are many than 350 million people who use hearing aids. With captions, they will comprehend your videos much easier.
Solution One. Using Free Software to Add Subtitles to Video
Do a little search on the internet, and you will find some software that can add captions (or subtitles) to the video. You may try out VLC, or the Windows built-in tool, Windows Movie Maker to add subtitles to your videos. However, the latter is no longer available for download. Meanwhile, you may be aware that many forum users have met many problems like Windows Movie Maker is not working normally.
MiniTool Software company has been dedicated to providing excellent, professional disk management, data recovery solutions, data backup and restore tools to millions of users in more than 180 countries for over 10 years. Trusted by industry experts, MiniTool software products have got featured by many technology sites such as TechRadar, LifeHacker, CNET, PCWorld, FileHorse, Softpedia, etc.
Now they have added video editing tools and video converter to their product line. We’ll move on to show how to use this powerful free Movie Maker alternative, MiniTool Movie Maker to add text to your videos.
How to Add Subtitles to Video with MiniTool Movie Maker on Windows PC?
MiniTool Movie Maker is a handy, full-featured video editing tool for beginners and semi-pros to quickly add subtitles to video free, add text to photo and do basic video edits easier than ever.
Step 1. Import some video files you need.
- Download and install MiniTool Movie Maker on your Windows 10/8/7 computer.
Launch this free add subtitles to this video editing program, after that, click the Import Media Files option to add your video files. Then please drag these imported files to the timeline.
You could import different 4K, HD video formats including.mkv, .rmvb, .mov, .avi, .flv, .mp4, .mpg, .vob, and .wmv into the software.
Step 2. Add subtitles to video and then customize them
Now you should click the Text option on the toolbar.
In this window shown above, you will find a variety of text fronts, including title, caption and end credits. (For instance, if you want to add a title to a video, you can drag and drop a suitable title mode to the timeline, after that, enter some texts.) To add subtitles to video free, simply select a suitable caption mode, and then drag it to your video on the timeline. Now is the time to enter some words.
Afterward, you can change sizes, fonts, outlines, colors, and alignments of your subtitles to achieve the result need.
Step 3. Export the video with subtitles now
Check if everything looks good in the video. At last, click “Export” to save your video file in different formats, including .mkv, .ts, .wmv, .mp4, .avi, .mov, .f4v, .3gp, .mpeg2, .webm and more.
Not only can this add subtitles to video software add text to your video, but also it can help you create stunning videos with pictures and/or videos.
Solution Two. Add Subtitles to YouTube Video Online
Here we’ll introduce 2 methods for you to add text to YouTube videos.
Method 1. How to Use YouTube Tool to Add Subtitles Step by Step
A. Log in to your YouTube account, and then click Creator Studio→ Video Manager → Videos.
B. Select one of your videos, then click the drop-down menu next to the Edit button, and choose the Subtitles/CC option, then, click the Add new subtitles or CC.
C. You should now select your subtitle language, and then, select Create new subtitles or CC option to continue.
D. Enter a subtitle, drag it to change its starting point, and then adjust the length of the subtitle if necessary.
E. At last, check the video content. If everything seems fine, you could press the Publish button and then your subtitles will be uploaded to the video.
Method 2. Upload Subtitles for Adding them to Your YouTube Video
Step 1. Create an SRT file that will be used as your video subtitles
- Open a text editor (If you do not have text editors, Notepad will help).
- Create your subtitles in the required format: subtitle number, timestamp, and text; make sure that each will occupy one line.
This is my first vlog after I move to Los Angeles.
00:06:15.00 –> 00:09:55.00 We paid a visit to the Eiffel Tower yesterday.
Step 2. Save the newly edited subtitles to your computer. Check everything looks good, then you could click File, select Save As to store the subtitle file. Enter a filename ending with “.srt”. From the drop-menu of Save As Type, select “All Files”, at last, click the Encoding menu and select UTF-8.
Step 3. Add subtitles to a video on YouTube website
- Please log in your YouTube account, select My Channel, and click Video Manager.
- Select your target video file, click Edit drop-down arrow, after that, select Subtitles and CC.
- Now Click Add new subtitles or CC → select Upload a File to choose Subtitle File.
- Browse for the file you created just now, select Upload.
- Adjust the subtitles(optional). Everything is done, you could publish your video with subtitles now.
If you do not want to spend much time adding subtitles (captions) to a video, the user-friendly free video editing software a good choice, because it does not require much technical knowledge or effort. MiniTool MovieMaker offers many basic video editing operations, like adding subtitles, trimming, splitting, add/remove music, apply video transition, and more. This easy-to-use, free video editing software will meet the most people, especially those who are seeking quick, good results.